North Tyneside Living Streets cover the metropolitan borough of North Tyneside including the towns of Killingworth, Wallsend, North Shields and Whitley Bay.
We are a committed group of local residents who would like to improve North Tyneside’s streets and public spaces for social uses including walking, cycling, socialising resting, playing and exercising.
North Tyneside is lucky to have an outstanding coastline and a large network of traffic free walking and cycling routes. However, motor traffic continues to dominate our streets even though there are clear social, health, economic and environmental benefits in encouraging walking and improving the public realm.
We campaign on the following issues:
Air pollution which is high in some locations in North Tyneside, travel from North Tyneside also has a significant impact on air quality in neighbouring Newcastle.
- Reducing excessive car speeds on residential streets.
- Reducing through motor traffic which blights many streets, especially in residential streets and around schools.
- Trying to release more street space for other uses other than for driving and parking.
- Increasing footway space for pedestrians and making streets easier to walk on and cross, plus introducing high quality separated space for cycling.
- Greening our streets with more trees, flowers and planting.
- Promoting planning that reduces the need for long travel.
We engage with the Council on these issues, and respond to Council consultations on any issues that affect the public realm and walking in general.
Please do come to the local group with any issues in your area that concern you. We all want to help.
Contact North Tyneside Local Group
Receive our Local Group news
Follow us on Twitter