EDINBURGH LOCAL GROUP
We aim to promote walking as a safe, enjoyable and easy way of getting around Edinburgh. If you'd like to reclaim Edinburgh's streets for walking, please join us!
Find out about our group's vision – our ten-point plan for walking in Edinburgh – here.
WHAT WE'RE DOING
We want to see:
- Walking given the top priority over other forms of travel in all council transport and planning policies
- Reduction in the volume of motorised traffic and its impact on people using the street
- Better designed and maintained pavements, road crossings and other pedestrian facilities
- More effective and joined-up monitoring and inspection of the walking environment by Edinburgh Council
- Planning policy which encourages dense, sustainable housing over car-dominated development
- More effective implementation of pro-walking policies ‘on the ground’
Our priorities are to:
Campaign for increased budgets (capital and staffing) for the pedestrian environment by the City of Edinburgh Council, especially to:
- widen footways;
- tackle pavement clutter;
- improve priority for pedestrians at signalled crossings;
- improve accessibility by installing dropped kerbs and continuous footways.
Secure better enforcement of controls on parking (including new ‘pavement parking’ provisions) and speeding.
Support specific local campaigns for place-making and traffic reduction.
Develop our work on walk-friendly environments at and around schools.
Influence planning policy and practice to aid walking and wheeling and reduce motor traffic.
Grow the number of our supporters and range of our campaigns.