SOUTH LONDON SOMALI WOMEN'S LOCAL GROUP
South London Somali Women's Living Streets Group formed in 2023.
Uffo Athletic Health and Wellbeing Walks are led by trained local people and are predominately aimed at Somali and Muslim communities, though not exclusively.
We currently run walks in Battersea Park, Wandsworth and Burgess Park, Southwark. The project is funded through Walking Cycling Grants London funded by Transport for London in partnership with The London Marathon Charitable Trust until 2023. We plan to extend this programme to other parts of London and to other underrepresented groups such as autistic people.
WHAT WE DO
- Supporting Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities, including parents and carers of disabled children.
- Helping residents walk more for health, leisure and to reduce carbon footprint.
- Promoting active travel and collaborating with local authorities and other stakeholders.
- Engaging with local people to access green spaces and parks for better wellbeing.
- Reaching more people to improve their physical health and mental wellbeing through greener transport modes such as walking, wheeling, and cycling.
- Supporting underrepresented communities to have their say and feel included in local consultations.
- Promoting play streets and Somali Traditional board-games for better community engagement, knowledge sharing and to reduce intergenerational gaps.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
If you are interested in finding out more, please get in touch via the links below or follow us on social media for latest news and updates through our website.