We want to make walking and cycling easy and enjoyable by making roads safer, easier to cross, less noisy and less busy. We want to get people walking and cycling whenever possible, securing the health benefits of active exercise and reduced pollution from fewer cars. For us it is not just about reducing the number of accidents on our roads, it is about quality of life.
What we do:
- We campaigned for and secured 20 mph schemes throughout much of the town.
- We continue to campaign to get drivers to stick to the 20mph limit and other speed limits on the approach to the town (e.g. we organise pop up demonstrations in Priory and Southover High Street and report speeding vehicles to the Police through Lewes Community Speed Watch).
- We encourage local people to consider if their car journey is really necessary.
- We support new pedestrian crossings at key sites (e.g. across Offham Road, with the first across from Prince Edwards Road planned to be installed by end of March 2018).
- We campaign against pavement parking and excessive pavement clutter such as “A” boards.
- We are working with Sustrans and East Sussex County Council to develop projects to support the Cycling and Walking Strategy.
We want Lewes to be a beautiful pedestrian and bicycle friendly town, where streets are shared and cars do not dominate. There is much work to be done to achieve our vision.
If you support this vision, come and join us.
Contact our group
Receive our Local Group News