Let's cut the clutter together
Work with us to get your community walking
Living Streets offers in-depth street and area audits outlining recommendations for space improvement. We can highlight the issues facing your residents through our engagement work, and make suggestions for improvement.
We’d love to discuss your project, however big or small. Once we understand your needs, we can talk through the services we think you’d most benefit from. Together we can make a real, lasting difference to our children, our local environment and our wider community. Just fill in the form and we'll be in touch.
Living Streets is calling for local authorities to prioritise clearing footways and pavements through measures including (but not limited to):
1. Banning all A-board advertising on the pavement
2. Putting in place plans and budget to remove excess or unused street furniture (eg signs and poles, guard rail and utility boxes or phone boxes)
3. Providing guidance to businesses using pavement space for outdoor entertainment that they must maintain a 1.5m pavement width
4. Ensuring maintenance of trees and hedges that encroach on pavements
5. Making a commitment that EV charging points and cycle storage will only be placed on pavements where 1.5m clearance width for pedestrians can be maintained; where there is insufficient space on the footway road space should be reallocated eg through the use of well-designed build outs.
Edinburgh City Council is taking steps to cut clutter across the city. They have banned A-boards and are actively removing pavement obstacles, following a campaign by the Edinburgh Living Streets Group.